Swindon Town Gardens Bowls Club A Leisure Pursuit For Everyone
  • About

    Town Gardens and Bowls Green

    Surveying the Victorian style splendour of the Town Gardens it is hard to imagine the

    place started as a limestone quarry. There is evidence of the Romans excavating on

    the site, the stone being transported to Durocovinium (now known as Wanborough)

    which was situated on the Roman road running between Cirencester and Silchester

    where there was a roman walled settlement. In 18th/19th centuries the stone went to

    London for paving roads and building construction.

    Swindon Borough Council bought the quarry from the Goddard family in 1894 for

    £3700.00 and the park’s creators used the different levels from the quarrying work in

    their designs, which were added to in 1902.A memorial tree was planted that year to

    commemorate the declaration of peace in the Boer War, this being one of many trees

    that have been planted over the past century to commemorate various significant

    events. The first Head Gardner in 1893 was a Mr Frank Reeve who was paid 20/- per

    week and free accomodation. 1897 he was given two Sundays a month off and his pay

    was increased to 24/- a week . The Sunday replacement was supplied with an official

    cap. The gardners cottage was situated approximately where the Rose Garden is

    today.From Council minutes it was discovered he would have one day per month off.

    When the cottage were demolished stone from this were used in the sunken garden

    that remains today.

    From humble beginnings has grown one of Swindon’s best loved parks, recognised by

    English Heritage as a Grade 11 site on their national register of parks and gardens.

    Along with tree lines walks, lawns bordered by masses of flowers, a recently restored

    Victorian Bandstand you will also find our Bowls Club, which was founded in 1912.

    Originally the bowls green only had a wooden shed for equipment but in 1926 a more

    appropriate Clubhouse was designed and built with more upgrades following on in

    later years. However the Clubhouse was confined to certain restrictions due to being

    situated in a conservation area. Over the years the Club has had a very loyal and solid

    membership.Many friendships have been formed not only locally but also when we

    have been on our annual Club Tours to various parts of the country. Support has been

    given to Swindon & District Associations with one of our ladies ,Terry Comerford

    being the Swindon & District Ladies President in 1993 and David Herold The

    Swindon & District Mens President in 1994 and 2006. In 2012 June Corbett was

    President of the Bowls Wiltshire Ladies.

    We were very proud to achieve our Centenary year and at the start of it the green was

    opened by Andy Thompson, World Indoor Singles Champion, joined by other Bowls

    England Officers and local dignitaries.Over the year special games were played

    against Friends of Bowls England, Bowls Wiltshire Men versus Bowls Wiltshire

    Ladies, Swindon & District Men against Town Gardens Men, as well as all our

    normal annual fixtures.

    The Club has joined the Swindon Sports Forum “The voice of the sporting Community” and has obtained Level One Accreditation.

    Over the years we have played a part in the Old Town Festival, the Swindon Mela.

    2012 the Club applied and was successful in getting an Awards for all grant from the

    Big Lottery,this was used to purchase a new kitchen and flooring, enabling us to

    engage more fully with new Community Partners such as Stroke Support Club,

    Rethink and Open Door.

    We are also liaising with Josie Williams for events that will be happening throughout

    the year in the Town Gardens.

    For further specific information please browse the following pages:

    To find out more please contact us using the contact form.

    Comments Off on About